The Fort of St.Jerome
On the north side of the Damanganga river, this fort in Nani Daman is named after St.Jerome, one of the most eminent fathers of the Catholic Church. Started in 1614 AD, after the Mughal Invasion, by the 12th Portuguese Viceroy of India, Dom Jeronimo de Azevado it got completed in the time of Dom Franciso de Gama in 1672 AD. The small fort with a giant gateway facing the river with a large statue of St.Jerome and two giant human figures, on either side of the gateway encloses an area of 12250 sq.m. The fort encloses a church. Our Lady of the Sea (now used as a school) and a cemetery. The view of the small fishing fleet which anchors alongside from the fort is interesting.
The Gandhi Park near the fort, the temple of Shri Satya Narayan are few more attractions for travelers in Nani Daman. The tourist crosses over to Moti Daman through Daman Ganga Bridge.